< back to Senior Counsel
Geoffrey D. Mitchell QC
Since calling to the Bar in 1992 Geoffrey Mitchell QC has gained a wide range of experience in oral advocacy. As a senior Advocate Depute (High Court prosecutor) he became experienced in the examination and cross examination of witnesses in serious and complex criminal cases. Since leaving Crown Office in 2005 he has been able to use his oral advocacy skills in several public inquiries. In addition, he acts in cases involving allegations of medical negligence, and commercial disputes. He continues to appear on behalf of the Crown in the Appeal Court.
- Janice Hannigan v Lanarkshire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust - for the Trust. Allegations of negligence made against gynaecologists following hysterectomy operation.
- Formal Investigation of FV Trident - For relatives of deceased into the sinking of the Fishing Vessel Trident under the Merchant Shipping Act 1995.
- Lazell v Lanarkshire Health Board - for the Trust. Cerebral palsy case.
- Rae v Lanarkshire Health Board - for the Trust. Cerebral palsy case.
- Aberdeen Football Club v Marshall Arts - for the Pursuer. Contractual dispute.
- Aljubouri v Stewart - for the Pursuer. Commerical dispute following sale of business, restraint of trade.
- McCormack v City of Edinburgh Council - for Local Authority. One of a series of cases following flooding of a burn within the City of Edinburgh.
- Advocate Depute: 2001 to 2003
- Senior Advocate Depute: 2004 to 2005
- Legal Assessor to the General Teaching Council for Scotland: 2006 to 2012
- Special Counsel to the Lord Justice General: 2011 to present